Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Food Allergies



My poor nephew Cooper has severe food allergies... anything with red dye (like ketchup or anything tomato-y) and peanuts are the worst. (He has more.. but these are the most severe) This poor child has been subject to my pregnant memory on more than one occasion. I had him for a week in March and gave him spaghetti-o's one day for lunch.... severe rash resulted. A few days later I gave him a peanut butter sandwich... this is when they discovered the peanut allergy and blood work was done to see how serious his allergies are. He now carries an Epi-pen in the event he has peanuts again and goes into anaphylactic shock.

Anyhow... I've had him again for the past two days (seriously.. I can't believe they still trust me with him). Today my neighbor came by with a cookie for the boys... I didn't even LOOK to see if there were any peanuts in it and handed it over to him. As soon as they ate them I realized my mistake and frantically called the neighbor, then my sister, then my brother-in-law. It was hours later when the neighbor finally confirmed there were NOT any peanuts involved. (Travis told me it would be an immediate reaction if there were nuts, but I was still stressed about it.) Very stressful. I hated myself for not checking. Poor Cooper. I came up with a solution.. pulled out my handy purple marker and wrote it right there on his forehead. NO NUTS. It sounded better in my head. I think tomorrow I'll specify... NO peaNUTS.

6 comments:

Ann said...

I'm totally laughing out loud!! This photo may be a source of embarrassment for the poor guy when he is a teenager! You crack me up!!

Matt & Kadie Laughlin said...

that is hysterical!!

Heather said...

You need to keep that photo someplace for his wedding video one day! You have me cracking up! However, i totally understand pregnant brain. I think it is worse when you have 2 others to care for!

Trav said...

Poor Little guy... i think His Aunt is trying to off him! I promise he's not a secret agent! oh and FYI, you typically cannot see the -nuts- that are cooked in to somthing... oreos or fruit snacks only. Thank you for all of your help!

Nicole said...

I'm cracking up here!!

Heather said...

How have you been??? Haven't heard from you in a while!